Saturday, September 14, 2013

How Alsaiah's 45 minute Inguinal Surgery turned into a 2 Day Hospital Admission

 Daddy taking the monitors off before we get to go home.

 In the waiting room! 

Meeting the Dr.
 Ok, touching base. What follows will be my worst nightmare. 

We took Alsaiah in at about 8AM, after doing all the prestuff and giving him giggle juice, they took him from me bout 10. They updated the waiting room screen about 1103 started Anesthesia. I was told it would be about 15-30 min surgery, it was 1233 and finally after no updates, they said anestesia was stopped on the screen.

The dr came in and told us Alsaiah was fine, that surgery went well, and he only had to repair the right side, the left was normal. What he said next is a blur. I think my heart stopped. 

He said when he started to wake up, and they began to remove his breathing tube, he had a bronchospasm and his airway constricted. The irritation made His lungs fill with mucus and blood. He stopped breathing. They had to do CPR to revive him. Guess it was sort of like asthma? So they removed the tube when he started breathing again and he spewed blood and mucus. 

They did a chest xray on him, but that came back normal. He was still breathing really loudly. He was all congested. So the dr wanted to keep him overnight to observe him in the PICU.

I was able to stay. He was so cranky and fussy, he wanted to get out of the crib and take the tubes and IV and wires off. So after a very restless night, most of which I spent on my feet at the side of his crib, we were able to leave around 2pm on Thursday.

Alsaiah is back to normal. The scar is pencil thin, its about an inch maybe a little longer. They dermabonded it, so its perfect. He is playful, still coughing a bit. And I am thankful he will never remember this.

I am more aware of how blessed I am. I am so grateful for friends and family. I am so appreciative of my children and their health. Which I often take for granted. He was in great hands. Clear Lake Regional has some awesome people, in every department we met over the 2 days. Medical personnel are pretty special people, especially those that work with kids. I knew he was in loving hands. There are some wonderful nurses, my favorite nurse was Trish in the Pedi-ICU. She totally took care of my boy, and I.

Thank you so much for caring about us, thank you for your prayers. God listened and gave my boy back to me.
Alsaiah was Not Playing with her! 

 My last hug before I gave him to the Nurses

 Giggle Juice, - Happy Gas

Daddy kissing Baby boy.  He was scared.

 His Med List for 2 days

Feeling a little better..

snoozing

 Daddy Dr.

My sweet Boy...

 A few wires for monitoring.

 This was our set up for over 55 hours.





No comments:

Post a Comment