Friday, April 4, 2014

After Multiple Multiples - Having a tummy tuck after 6 kids

Why - Because I Gave my Body to Everyone else in my house for so long - And finally, I wanted it back!
 
Oh, and because I think I am worth it!
 
 
I know many, many moms! Does not matter how many children they have I have heard so many sides to the Tummy Tuck issue.  Just because I got one, does not mean I was not proud of my stripes, my battle scars, or proof that I gave birth to triplets, and twins plus one.
 
Its because I don't need constant reminders of it.  I can look at my miracles everyday for that.
 
I don't think I need to answer the reason why, so here is my advice if you want to do something utterly selfish, FOR YOU!
 
My advice :
 Fill all your prescriptions the day before so you have them ready. Do
not miss a dose, you need to stay on top of the pain.
Buy Hibiclens Soap, use the night before and the morning of the surgery.
Buy Absorbent pads you will need about 10 large 2X3 size to keep your bedding clean when you arrive home. You can also use them as your dressing the first few days. Day number one you should be instructed not to remove the dressings. The dr will do that at your post op appt.  Stay covered with your gown or a robe, because the pads can make you feel cold since they are wet from the discharge.
Tape - 1" medical tape, you may prefer paper tape if you have sensitive skin.  Tape will help keep the absorbent pads in place if you need to change them.
Q-tips - these are used to keep your belly button clean. Use Alcohol the morning of your surgery and they will help keep it clean after surgery. Your Dr may tell you to just insert dry gauze, but that often gets stuck on the stitches or scabs inside.. Just make sure to keep it clean and dry after you shower.
Sports bra that clips in the front, for easy mobility.
As your body shrinks in size, you will need to wear a Binder/Girdle garment.  Some facilities include this in their cost and your first one is free. But you may have to get another one size smaller as you lose weight and inches.  I was put in a large at my post op appointment (ohh that was not fun) but by 9 weeks I actually fit into a small! I recommend the binder that goes up to right under your chest and extends down to your mid thigh or knees.  The kind that has clasps the whole way up both sides with a zipper was the best.
White cotton tank tops just easy to put on and it wont bother you if they get dirty from the fluids or blood. Plenty are needed about 6 or so, as you will wear these under your binder. They will cover your incision.  They get stained so have a few ready. You will have days that you will feel so itchy.  Your skin as the nerves start waking back up, will feel like something is crawling on you. It also feels like a popping sensation.  Dont worry, you did not pop a stitch, its just your body coming back to life.
House Gown or button up dress. I preferred zipper.  You will need to wear loose, lightweight dress or gown during recovery. No pants or underwear at anytime until your dr tells you to. I bought Depends undergarments and my dr thought it was Brilliant! They are sterile, they are loose and they are great in helping soak up the fluid and blood from drainage.  Plus then you dont feel strange for walking around commando.  (In the beginning you wont care...you will just focus on getting up and moving around)
Groceries, Buy cases of water, stay away from Citrus, caffeine, alcohol, and any herbal drinks.  You can have soup, mashed potatoes, toast, jello, and salt-free crackers.  (You will lose sooo much weight! Not only from the surgery, but from this diet.) Stay away from salt.  Progress slowly to a normal diet.  Begin with liquids and gatorade, then the soup and crackers, working up to solids.  You wont have much of an appetite anyway.
No sex....Even tho you will feel so sexy and awesome in your new body (LOL) My dr made me wait 9 weeks for sex or exercise until the scar had turned from red to pink.
You will see results from day one!! But keep in mind you are swollen, you will continue shrinking for about a year!
The most important items to me were a wedge pillow, I ordered from Target.com, they dont sell in the store. It was about $70 and it props up your back and your legs. Very important, plus, if you get tired of sleeping in a recliner, you can move to the bed and this will help keep you in position, you wont be able to stretch out for a good 14-18 days.
The pillow under your knees helps keep the swelling down and help with the circulation in your mid-section.  The back pillow helps you get comfy because the first few weeks you will have to sleep in an elevated position.  If you have had a c-section, you know how hard it is to get up and out of bed.  The dr. will want you to get up every hour, to go to the bathroom and back.  You will be drinking lots of water and passing lots of fluid from the surgery.  It will seem like torture, pure hell to get up and do this every hour for 3 minutes, but it is very necessary to promote healing and a speedy recovery.
You will need some lollypops too, because they may place a breathing tube down your throat and you will wake up with a sore throat and your voice may be hoarse.
Pick up some bendy straws too, (just hit the drive through at McD's and ask for a few of the kids straws) because you may not be able to move very well, but having a bottle of water with the straw makes it much easier to drink when you dont have to make too much effort.
Depending on whether or not you do Tumescent Tummy Tuck (without drainage tubes) or if your dr does use tubes, you will expect to have bloody discharge and drainage from the incision.  I had no tubes and the belly button and incision drained for about 2 days, and then healed nicely.  Dont freak out if you see the dressings on your bed or recliner, much of it is the fluid that they use mixed with just a tiny bit of blood.  With Tumescent Liposuction and Tummy Tuck, which was what I had, they use large volumes of fluid containing diluted local anesthetic drugs and epinephrine that is injected into fat, so alot of my drainage was this fluid.
You will have a temporary decrease in skin sensation, it will resolve over time.  Sometimes you wont have any feeling come back at all to certain areas.  I cant feel anything stuck in my belly button yet, and its been exactly 2 years.
You will not be allowed to conduct business on the phone or computer, due to meds, and no driving until cleared by the doctor.  No smoking.
Good luck, We are awesome women and we deserve this! Dive in head first. I hope this information helps someone prepare.  I am always here for questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment